Thursday, May 20, 2010

A penny for your thoughts... or a dime... a nickel?

Entering the local Rite-Aid/Brooks, one can always look forward to some good people watching and if you're lucky, you get a quick conversation with the new check-out clerk:

I picked up a couple items at lunch and the total cost came to $4.06. I gave the clerk a ten dollar bill and then gave him a dime and a penny as it was all I had.

He looked at me and said, "Do you have a penny?"

I said, "I gave you a dime and a penny."

His hand held the coins. He looked intently at his hand once more, saying "But I wanted to give you six cents."

I looked at his hand, which now held two pennies.

Once more, I said "But I gave you a dime and a penny."

He stared some more at the coins, turned to the cash register, grabbed some money and said, "Here's your change, six dollars and five cents."

I said, "Thank you very much sir!" and walked away.

How he finally came up with the right numbers, I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment